Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Quickie

Sorry folks, but this is going to be a quickie.  I'm just getting tired from starting work at 7 each day and then running and sometimes lifting after work.  Not much time to decompress and let the legs recover, but I'm trying.

I went to the gym today thinking I was going to do some chest and bicep lifts, but as I was doing bench I thought that today might be a good day to do some leg stuff.  I took Saturday off, ran 9.4 on Sunday and 8.4 yesterday so I thought this may not be a great idea, however there is no time like the present to do something.  All of my lifting life I have HATED two things:  leg days and ab work.  Can't stand them.  After my last marathon, I decided that maybe doing some lower body strength training will give me that extra boost later in the race when I need it the most.  

So today I lifted before I ran.  I did some squats, Romanian dead lifts, leg curls, and leg extensions...all at 3 sets of 15 reps.  I've decided that for my strength training I'm going to keep my repetition range at 12-17, which would encourage muscle recruitment rather than pure strength training.  Curls and extensions are not a problem, however I hate squats.  Dunno why, it may be because for a three month period in high school whenever I lifted a ton of weight on squat and leg press I would get intense migraine headaches (which was due to a freak digging grave/backhoe accident).  Thus, I hate them.  I finished my three sets and washed my hands of that exercise until next week.  

Interesting things I noticed about my leg lifts today were:  minor, no thought knee injuries are brought to the forefront during leg curls, I'm not as strong as I used to be, my hammies are wussies, and again, naked old men are gross.

I ran 6+ miles after my lift (I would usually run before my lifts, but for some reason I wanted to get into the gym, I may have seen a cute girl, who knows).  The run was fine, a new route through the metropolis that is Great Falls, MT.  A few hills, lots of wind, you know, the norm for this part of the country.

Has anyone here done any lower body strength training while in the midst of a marathon?  If so, what sort of exercises/sets/reps did you do?

I'm out.  I have a few fence posts to pound tomorrow...

4 comments:

Amy said...

Pretty sure this is a phrase I wouldn't read on any other running blog...

'which was due to a freak digging grave/backhoe accident'

Ms. V. said...

I don't do strength training on my legs. I'm running 6x a week tho for my first marathon in Oct.

My quads are hard as rocks.

Melanie said...

I think I read somewhere that there are a lot of benefits to doing some strength/weight stuff BEFORE a run. I can't recall where I read it or what the benefits were, but I remember thinking it was interesting. Might be worth googling if you're interested in the details.

Spike said...

I always lift after my run...that is, when I lift at all. I'll see how it works for you and consider revising.