Friday, May 15, 2009

Apparently this is a running AND WINE Blog

I am sorry for you winos out there as I have been neglecting you as of late.  My stupid marathon seemed important, and I was out partying in Nashville, so I haven't been drinking from my cellar as of late.  If you live in Nashville or are visiting, please go out to Flyte.  They have a great wine selection, both by the bottle and glass.  Try the St. Urbans Hof Riesling on their list.  Superb.  

So tonight is the first night in awhile where I opened a bottle.  It's Friday night, and I've been busy working on the ranch this week, so I decided to open a bottle.  This past week I unloaded my cellar (81 bottles) into my parent's place.  I've tried to keep mum on how much I actually have, and it took up a lot of space in my closet.  (I live in the basement below ground level, so I think those wines will keep rather well, even in the summer).  So the wines are about 5 high stacked, so I tried to put the wines on top that I plan to drink soon.  Tonight happened to be the 2007 Domaine La Garrigue Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine. 


Domaine De La Garrigue Cotes Du Rhone Cuvee Romaine 2005 from Labels at Wine Library

This was a great QPR wine at $11.99.  My decanter was a little dirty, so I just opened the bottle and let it breathe while I went on a run.  (See I can have a running and wine post!)  

On the nose this wine displays a big dust and leather component.  I love that.  Have I mentioned I LOVE earth, dirt, dust, leather?  I love that in my wine.  I'm not a big fruit fan, but if it tastes/smells like a cow, I'll probably like it.  Seriously.  Blend a cow hide and make it into a liquid, I'll rate it 90+ points.  This wine had a nice dark fruit aroma as well, with some plum and a little strawberry.

The initial attack displayed the leather and dirt component I love.  This slowly transitioned into the plum/mushroom flavor.  Awesome.  The back end had some tobacco and spice.  It was especially spicy with food, which was some pork chops along with spaghetti with a dark beef based sauce.  Great long finish with that dust and bitter component lasting awhile.  Not a bad wine for the price at all.  

I'm glad I have 3 more bottles!


1 comment:

Amy said...

Hopefully the pork chop was fried. Cause, you know, I hear that fried foods really bring out the flavors of wine, etc...

Just what I hear, ya know? ;)

I cannot get enough of the whites lately. Must be the summer.