Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gyms

Unlike Nashville, there aren't too many things to do after work here in rural Montana.  There is the always entertaining Sip 'N Dip Lounge, which, of course, has a mermaid behind the bar and Moose Drool on tap, then there is the Peak Fitness Center.  (And no, I'm not getting paid by the endorsement)  

I ended up signing up for the next two months at the low, low rate of $25/month.  I used to lift a TON in high school, college, and early grad school.  I loved it.  I loved being in the gym, the fatigue, helping friends with spots, the views, you know, gym stuff.  I hardly ever ran.  I basically ran in order to get my HR up for lifting, and then another cool down jog, both on the treadmill.  I ran to supplement my lifting.

Things have now changed.  I don't want the body shape I had when I was lifting.  I was too muscular (is there such a thing?) and not lean enough, due to the lack of cardio.  I HATE that look, btw, of these amateur bodybuilders with muscular arms, shoulders, and legs, but also has a bit of a gut.  Not good.  I want to be both lean and muscular, and I've decided that I need to hit the weights, but not as a headliner, but the opening act.  I need the weights to supplement my running.  This, I hope, will get me my stupid PR in the marathon in 80 days.

So, today was my first day back at the gym, basically one of the few opportunities for any social interaction.  This experience today got me thinking about what I like and hate about the gym.

Love:  The adrenaline of lifting weights.  Even though I've lost a lot of strength, I always feel really good after a good lift.

Hate:  People who use dumbbells and do their sets RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DUMBBELL RACK.  There is plenty of space to do your exercise.  I need to use the dumbbells too, idiot.  

Love:  The equipment.  No one could have a home gym like that unless they have tons of money.  Free weights, Hammer Strength equipment, cardio, spin classes, pool...

Hate:  Women who have abnormally large, fake breasts that dress a little too scandally.  Yep, you read that right, I'm not a fan.  I was doing some curls when a woman approached to do some exercises.  She was in skimpy shorts and a sports bra with huge boobs that pointed at 45 degree angles.  She then proceeded to do some sort of running in place, which just made everything go everywhere.  Definitely an attention whore.  I mean, it's like a car wreck, you know you shouldn't look, but you HAVE to.  And I did.  She didn't even have the 'best body', whatever that means.  Just go naturally, folks.  Home grown country cookin'.  

Love:  Steam rooms and saunas.  Best way to end a workout.

Hate:  NAKED, OLD MEN who sit in the steam room, saunas without towels, even though there is a large sign that says not to do that.  A guy today was sitting naked on the bench, his bare ass on the tile, but he had FLIP FLOPS ON!  He's worried about stepping on the floor of the locker room but has no qualms about his hairy, wrinkly ass and balls on the benches in the steam room?  Gross.  

Hate:  Teenagers.  Especially the ones that fool around in the weight room.  I did not do that when I was in high school.  I worked hard.  (State Football Champions, 1999)  If you and your pals want to lift and be obnoxious at the same time, do it at your school.  I'm paying for this experience, I don't need you guys being idiots.  I especially dislike those that don't know how to use the equipment.  Do it properly or don't do it at all.  

Love and Hate:  Treadmills.  I get bored by them, but in Montana they are a necessity.  I ran 5.5 miles in a 30 mph wind today and halfway through I thought I should have stayed inside.  I quickly regained consciousness and finished my run.  It would take nothing less than snow for me to run inside anymore.  

That's all I can think of right now.  I had tons more while at the gym and I should have written them down.  I will keep a running tab of what annoys me at the gym this summer.  

If any of you have any advice as to what sort of weight training to do while training for a marathon, let me know.  My plan is to lift 3 days/week, chest/biceps, triceps/back, shoulders/legs, all with low weight and high reps.  I will also be doing abs one day a week, which I have neglected for the better part of my lifting life.

Adios, Folks!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hmm... methinks you must have jinxed yourself with that snow/treadmill comment.

Great post...thats both hilarious and gross about the old dude in the steam. Eek.

Jill Ann said...

Ha...well, sounds like a lot of the gym rants are the same stuff that goes on in our wonderful Middle TN YMCA's. Old guy naked = gross.

Check out runner's world website - they have some good strength training videos on ideas.

For marathon - your most important items are - hammies, quads, calves, core strength. When I had a trainer, I did a lot of bridge type exerices and abs with weights.

Ms. V. said...

Wow. are you like the only man in the world who doesn't like them? what a breath of fresh air.