Monday, March 30, 2009

Hammer Gels and Other Products

I emailed the directors of the GO! St. Louis Marathon last week to question them about what kind of performance enhancing drugs they will be giving out at the aid stations.  Ok, maybe not the same kind of performance enhancing drugs that Barry Bonds did NOT use during his stint with the San Francisco Giants (I'm not sure about his Pirates days), but the electrolyte gel/bean replacement product.  I needed to know if there was a chance my normal GU would be the favored product, and, of course, it was not.  They replied to me that they would be using Hammer Gel on the course.  I was very happy that it would be a gel and not those darned 'beans' that I could choke on, but was disappointed in that it would not be the GU that I'm oh so used to.  Frankly, I had never heard of Hammer nutrition and their beloved gels.  I wanted to get out and try them as I did not want to have to carry my own gels out on the course.  I figure the less I have to carry, the faster I will be.  Thus, I decided to buy some of their gels online, as it costs me less to have stuff shipped than to drive my truck around town.  

I ordered a 12 pack of their banana (I hope it doesn't ruin bananas for me) flavored gels.  One day later I got a phone call from Hammer telling me that they included a whole bunch of other items of theirs for me to sample.  When I filtered this call, I see that the area code was 406.  Yeah, I'm sure you've never taken a call from the 406 area code, but I have.  I have taken thousands of calls from this area code.  This area code is used for the state of Montana.  Yes, Hammer Nutrition is based out of Whitefish, MT.  I'm in love with this company already.  

Here is what they sent me:  

Hammer Gel Banana (12x1 Srv)
Hammer Gel Orange (1 Srv)
Hammer Gel Raspberry (1 Srv)
Hammer Gel Vanilla (1 Srv)
HEED Strawberry (1 Srv)
Perpetuem Orange-Vanilla (1 Srv)
Recoverite Citrus (1 Srv)
Hammer Bar Coconut Cashew
Endurolyte Samples (4 Cap)
Whey Chai (1 Srv) 1 0 1
New Customer Packet - MAG/PUM
Product Usage Manual - Red
Book - Endurance Athlete's Guide
Magnet
Whey Unflavored (1 Smp)

I only ordered the first item.  They gave me a lot of stuff.  

So, I got the box today.  Why don't you and I sit on the couch, open it up, and see what kind of initial impression they will make on me.  Hang tight...

First I see that I have a magnet with my client number and ways for me to re-order.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Hammer.  

Endurance News, March 2009 issue.  Just flipping through it, it seems it's quite nerdy for the endurance athlete.  Me likey.  

The Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success-8th Edition.  Eh, a mini book telling me how I need to replenish electrolytes and such.  Basically an exaggerated advertisement.  Good bathroom reading.  

Hammer Nutrition Product Usage Manual.  I actually like this.  No more squinting to read labels (if I were my Dad, I have perfect vision.  No squinting here).  I will read it.  

Actual Products:

Banana Hammer Gel box.  Big and yellow with a slight dent.   
Comparing to my GU vanilla:

Serving Size:  G-32 grams   HG-36 grams
Calories:  G-100  HG-90
Sodium: G-55 mg   HG-30 mg   (This concerns me a bit.  Advantage GU)
Potassium: G-55 mg  HG-doesn't say 
Total Carbs:  G-25 g  HG-23 g
Sugars:  G-5 g   HG- 2g

All in all, I think GU would act as a better electrolyte replacement option.  Damn.

The rest of the stuff I may try, like the Recoverite after my 20 miler this weekend.  They all look interesting, but I don't think I'd spend any money on it.  Since I haven't used it in my training, I won't use any of it (except the gel) for the marathon.  I just hope that the gel works during my 20 miler this weekend...





1 comment:

Old Man said...

need to try it on your long training runs. I prefer to carry my own in my LD shorts, than rely on the course provided gels. usually only offered later in the race, anyway.