Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Sad Day

I have finally come to a stark realization.  I know that I'm going to have trouble with what I'm about to say, but I think it's time that it happens.  This won't only affect me, but it will also affect all of my karaoke fans.  

So here it is:  I've decided to quit drinking beer/hard liquor until the marathon is over.  Oh, wow, I can hear the gasps from here.  Not true, you say?  Yep.  No more Guinness, no more single malts, no more IPA's.  I'm going cold turkey.  Now, I will have the occasional glass of wine, mainly because I need to trim some inventory before a big purchase in April, oh, and it's apparently good for you.  

This is not an unprecedented move; my last marathon I went cold turkey on all alcohol for the month prior to the marathon.  Of course, I was 24 years old then and a little more rambunctious, as were my friends.  I remember one of them telling me that I was 'no fun' anymore.  I thought that was a really funny thing to say.  I mean, jeez, thanks for the support.  Well, all of those friends are married, with kids, or have moved away, so I think this venture will be a little easier.  I have no trips planned, no college friends coming into town, and no friend's birthdays that require two tequila shots.  Just me and my will.  Plus it's a TON easier to run those long weekend runs without a hangover.  

I am doing this as a preliminary step to lose another 12 or so pounds before the marathon.  I've lost 20 so far, but would feel a lot better if I get down to a decent fighting weight.  I have a little more than 10 weeks before the race, so I figure I can lose a pound a week.  I'll be happy with that.  Next I look to eat a little healthier, you know with vegetables and fruits and stuff.  

So if you see me out in the greater Nashville area, say hi and buy me a water.  Or a Rioja...maybe just the water...


2 comments:

Amy said...

So... just to clarify... you're going to be sober at Lonnie's when you have to sing your "lost bet" song?

I dont know if that makes the bet better or worse...

Denise said...

I really cut back on the beer/wine when I was training. I refused to go to Friday night happy hours and my friends told me I was boring. :-( Now, I still find I drink a lot less...maybe that's because I'm always doing some sort of long run the next morning...??

I loooove my wine!