Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Recent Wine Purchases

So in an effort of full disclosure, I suppose I should let everyone know what this poor grad student has been spending his money on.  Lent has arrived and being the good Catholic I am, I have decided to give up a few things.  The idea is to give up something that will be very difficult, thus I have given up wine purchases for the next 40 days.  But, of course, Wine Library had a decent sale/free shipping offer yesterday...yep, I bit.  I mean, if I can't buy wine for awhile, I need to stock up, right?  I also bought a couple bottles at a LWS last friday.  Here we go!

2 x  '06 Cova Dels Vins Ombra (Grenache, Cab, Carinena)
1 x ' 06 Cantina Dolianova Cannonau Di Sardegna Anzenas (100% Grenache)
2 x '06 Vallee De Valeur (Bordeaux)
1 x '04 Leeuwin Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon (Austrailian)
1 x '03 Nicholas Cole Cellars Camille (Washington Red Meritage)
1 x '05 Chateau Haut Brisson La Reserve (St. Emilion  Bordeaux)
1 x '05 Chateau La Galante (Bordeaux- 65% Merlot, 30% Cab, 5% Cab Franc)
3 x '04 Monteviejo Festivo (Argentina Malbec)
1 x 2005 Petit Chapeau Côtes du Rhône
1 x 2002 Rotllan Torra Priorat Reserva (Grenache Blend)
1 x 2005 Domaine de la Serre Vin de Pays des Côtes Catalanes Cailloux Vieilles Vignes (Grenache Blend)


As you can see from above, I'm getting fairly into Malbecs and Grenaches.  I've been loving the leather, dirty, earthy, poopy aromas and tastes lately.  Dunno, maybe it's from growing up on a ranch.  

What do you guys think?  

4 comments:

StangLuvr said...

I'm not a wine guy. I like my Bud Light more than anything. There is one wine that I have tried so far that I like. It is a cheap red wine. I don't even know the name of it. Most wine I have tasted is bitter. I would like to hit a wine tasting with my wife sometime to find some good wine that we both like.

Looks like you dropped some major coin on that list!!!

Diana said...

Wow. I don't think I can pronounce anything on your list. I'm more into the dark fruits, so your wine list and mine probably don't get along too well. Had enough poop with two boys, so don't need to drink something that has that kind of aftertaste.

Had the Mas Donis you gave Bob, and we liked that. Here is my list of three recent international purchases:

07 Tres Picos Garnacha (Spain) - if you like Mas Donis, you should like this one

06 Crios De Susana Balbo Syrah/Bonarda (Argentina)

07 Tormaresca Neprica (Italy)

Vandy-Montana said...

I'm glad that no california wines were on the list. I am having a cali syrah right now and I now know why I don't like them...too oaky. Most of the wines on the list do have dark fruit components with subtle dirty components, well, at least I hope they do.

Anonymous said...

i love bordeaux. i'm gonna check to see if we have those here and then i'll let you know.
and ya, good luck with the no wine buying for 40 days...good thing you laid in some good stock to tide you over.