Friday, January 23, 2009

What I Think About When I Run

When you're training or a marathon, you have a lot of free time on your hands to do nothing but think about stuff.  So today during my 7 mile marathon pace run, (8:04 splits...pretty happy with it) I tried to make a mental note of everything I thought about.  Kinda like a mental inventory.  Let's see how it worked out.

  • Damn, 7 miles at marathon pace is gonna kick my ass
  • Why do I live at the lowest elevation on my runs?
  • What the f*** is that guy doing?  A**h*** almost ran me over!
  • Damn, am I at a mile yet?  Gotta remember to record my splits
  • God, I love when I finally hit Wedgewood.  Good downhill bit coming up!
  • I wonder if my bosses are going to see me running while they are heading to lunch.  Better not run into them.
  • Where are all the Vandy kiddies on this beautiful day?  Probably drinking already.
  • 2 miles down.  When am I 33% done?  Oh yeah, at 2.33333333.... miles.  I'm a nerd.
  • I HATE red lights.  I wish I had that radar thing an ambulance has so I could change red lights to green whenever I want.
  • I HATE traffic.  21st during lunch hour sucks...AND I have to cross w/o a light.  
  • Almost halfway done!  DAMN, that is one ugly dog.  Is that a dog?  Wow, weird.
  • How're the splits going?  Hmmm...seem like they are going alright. 
  • Why are girls bat shiat crazy sometimes?  I mean they are all a little crazy, but some are WAY out there.  (sidenote, there isn't a run long enough for me to answer this question, sorry ladies.  I know we men have our problems too)
  • Alright, 4 miles down, almost to Belmont.  I'll be heading back soon!
  • Great day, 55 degrees, awesome!  Crap, I just stepped in dog crap.  WTF???  Please PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOG!
  • I don't fit into the Belmont U. crowd.  
  • Why does every person think that someone running is the best person to stop and ask directions.  If I hate stopping at red lights, I sure as hell don't like stopping for you...unless you're cute, then I'll probably stop.
  • 1.4 miles to go!  Mostly downhill from here.
  • The girl that just passed me smelled like candy.  I think sweet tarts.  That's not even fair smelling like sweet tarts, especially when I'm training for a marathon.
  • Damn, a lot of homeless people at the shelter today.  At least it's nice out for them.
  • What am I going to do with my friends all weekend?  How am I going to keep up my healthy, non-drinking regiment while they're in town.  I must be strong.
  • DONE!  Whohoo.  7 miles done, 56 minutes to complete.
  • I need a beer.
There it is.  The depths of my mind.  I don't really know what to make of it.  Do you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! It almost makes me want to start running! hehe... Hope you have a great weekend!

Amy said...

"Is that a dog?" lol. That cracked me up.

Damn... 8:04 splits, huh? I hate you.

Eric Gervase said...

Hilarious... So, do I gather that you are shooting for 8 minute miles for the marathon?