Thursday, January 15, 2009

Running Tunes

I'm sure I'm like most runners when I say that I run with headphones in all the time, except during races. I think this may be the only thing I have in common with most runners who listen to music, as my music taste is probably very different than most. Yes, I have a separate playlist for my workouts and yes there is some upbeat stuff, but most of my music is of the country variety. No, I'm not into the whole Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw crap they play on the radio. Looking at my playlist, I see that the top three artists are Reckless Kelly, Merle Haggard, and Last Train Home


Last Train Home 

These artists can rock with the best of them, but much of my workout music is quite slow.  I'm huge into lyrics while feel and beat are secondary.  If a tune can reach me I'll listen to it no matter what I'm doing or how many bpm the tempo is.  

The latest Runners World had short article on the 'perfect training soundtrack'.  Now, like wine, everyone has different music taste.  There are a few I would agree with them, such as their suggestion for the halfway point of a run with 'You Shook Me All Night Long' by AC/DC.  I'm a huge fan, and my Nike+ powersong is 'Thunderstruck'.  Their other suggestions I believe are a little too clichè for a run, like 'Eye of the Tiger'.  I mean I just see Rocky training for his bout with Clubber, and that doesn't motivate me that much.  Other artists they suggest are Jet and Matchbox Twenty which are both snoozefests in my opinion.

Yes, I know my musical taste is different, and most want that upbeat stuff, but I want something that takes my mind off the road and gives me something profound to think about.  I highly suggest you take a look at your playlist and see what needs to be changed, recycles, or downright dumped.  You shouldn't have to take the time to press for the next song on your MP3 player.  

Oh, and give some old school George Jones a try... 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ummm... yeah, so I've tried about 20 different times to imbed videos into my posts with no luck. Ugh. I hate you.

Anyway... the Rocky reference reminded me of my favorite it's always sunny in philly episode..."hundred dollar baby." I'm SOOOO downloading "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito in my playlist this weekend. (Karate kid be damned).